Outcomes of coronary transfer for anomalous origin of the left coronary artery from the pulmonary artery†

European journal of cardio-thoracic surgery : official journal of the European Association for Cardio-thoracic Surgery

PubMedID: 25005837

Ma K, Wang L, Hua Z, Yang K, Hu S, Yan J, Zhang H, Pan X, Li S, Chen Q. Outcomes of coronary transfer for anomalous origin of the left coronary artery from the pulmonary artery†. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2014;.
OBJECTIVES
To determine outcomes of patients presenting with an anomalous origin of the left coronary artery from the pulmonary artery (ALCAPA) who underwent coronary transfer, and to investigate the role of the left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) and preoperative myocardial viability as the predictors for incomplete LV functional recovery.

METHODS
From 2002 to 2012, 40 consecutive patients whose diagnosis was ALCAPA and who underwent coronary transfer were included. Seventeen patients (42.5%, 17/40) presented with LV dysfunction (Group I) while the other 23 (57.5%, 23/40) did not (Group II). All patients in Group I underwent myocardial perfusion/metabolism imaging and the global viability index was calculated. The mean follow-up time was 54 ± 37 months.

RESULTS
The median age at repair was 27.6 months (range, 3-66 months) and the mean preoperative LVEF was 49.0 ± 15.6%. Two extracorporeal membrane oxygenation support systems were required after correction. There were no in-hospital deaths and 1 late death. The mean LVEF was significantly improved to 61.0 ± 12.2 and 64.0 ± 11.2% at discharge and follow-up, respectively. Both the LVEF at discharge (52.7 ± 17.1% in Group I versus 66.1 ± 8.0% in Group II, P = 0.02) and the LVEF at the latest follow-up (55.2 ± 10.1% in Group I versus 67.6 ± 8.0% in Group II, P = 0.03) were lower in Group I than Group II. Moderate mitral regurgitations (MRs) were noted in 5 patients (12.8%, 5/39) at follow-up without difference between groups. Restrained functional recovery was observed in 6 patients (35.2%, 6/17) in Group I and the global viability index (P = 0.02) was identified as a predictor for incomplete LV functional recovery.

CONCLUSIONS
Coronary transfer is a technique of choice with favourable outcomes for this anomaly. In the majority of patients, both ventricular function and MR tend to be normalized over time. Myocardial viability may be an alternative predictor for restrained LV functional recovery.