Diagnostic value of autofluorescence imaging combined with narrow band imaging in intraepithelial neoplasia of Barrett's esophagus.

Journal of B.U.ON. : official journal of the Balkan Union of Oncology

PubMedID: 26011328

Jin NY, Wang K, Wei SQ, Li YQ, Wang HW, Xu LM, Shi JP. Diagnostic value of autofluorescence imaging combined with narrow band imaging in intraepithelial neoplasia of Barrett's esophagus. J BUON. 2015;20(2):399-405.
PURPOSE
To evaluate the diagnostic values of Auto Fluorescence Imaging (AFI) combined with Narrow Band Imaging (NBI) in the diagnosis of the intraepithelial neoplasia of Barrett's esophagus (BE).

METHODS
Seventy four suspicious BE intraepithelial lesions were assessed in 50 patients by AFI, who were further subjected to NBI mode to observe the changes of gastric mucosal capillaries and gastric pits. The corresponding lesions were biopsied for pathological examination.

RESULTS
Among the 74 AFI-diagnosed cases of suspicious lesions, 44 (59.5%) were high-grade intraepithelial neoplasias (BEHGIN), while the remaining 30 cases (40.5%) were false-positive. The NBI-diagnostic results of these 44 BEHGIN lesions were as follows: 39 cases were confirmed and 5 were suspicious; among the 30 false-positive BEHGIN cases, NBI gave 7 false-positive cases. The false-positive rates decreased from 40.5% of AFI to 9.5% (7/74) of NBI-AFI (p<0.05). The positive predictive value of AFI in BEHGIN was 59.5% (44/74), while that of AFI-NBI combination was 84.8% (39/46; p<0.05).

CONCLUSIONS
The AFI-NBI combination technology could significantly improve (p<0.05) the detection rate of BEHGIN.