[The prevalence of overweight and obesity among Chinese adults from 2010 to 2012].

Zhonghua yu fang yi xue za zhi [Chinese journal of preventive medicine]

PubMedID: 26081532

Fang H, Yu W, Guo Q, Wang X, Xu X, Yu D, He Y, Ma G, Zhao L. [The prevalence of overweight and obesity among Chinese adults from 2010 to 2012]. Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2015;49(4):311-4.
OBJECTIVE
To analyze the prevalence of overweight and obesity among Chinese population from 2010 to 2012.

METHODS
Datas were collected from the Chinese Nutrition and Health Surveillance 2010-2012. The subjects were selected through the method of probability proportion to size (PPS). A total of 8 333 subjects aged from 15 to 17 years old (4 173 people in urban areas, and 4 160 people in rural areas) and 120 546 subjects aged 18 years and above were analyzed (60 289 people in urban, and 60 257 people in rural areas). Overweight and obesity in adolescents and adults were defined according to the WHO recommended BMI for age and sex in 2007 and WHO recommended standards, which was body mass index = 25 kg/m(2) for overweight and body mass index = 30 kg/m(2) for obesity. Age-standardized results were calculated by incorporating a complex sample weighting using the population data from the National Bureau of Statistics in 2009.

RESULTS
The prevalence of overweight and obesity among Chinese teenagers aged 15-17 were 7.8% and 2.6%, respectively. The prevalence of overweight and obesity were 8.4% and 3.6% for males, 7.2% and 1.5% for females. The prevalence of overweight and obesity for subjects in urban areas were 9.4% and 3.4%, respectively, while 6.6% and 2.0% in rural areas. The prevalence of overweight and obesity among Chinese adults were 27.1%, and 5.2%, respectively, and the total rate was 32.3%. And among them, the total rate of overweight and obesity in city adults was 35.4%, while 29.1% in rural adults. The rates of overweight and obesity in urban residents were 29.7% and 5.7% respectively, while 24.5% and 4.6% in rural adults. The rates of overweight and obesity in male were 27.8% and 5.1%, respectively, while 26.4% and 5.2% for female.

CONCLUSION
From 2010 to 2012, more than 1/10 of Chinese teenagers aged 15 to 17 were overweight or obese and nearly 1/3 of Chinese adults are overweight or obese. Overweight and obesity situation were very serious.