Clinical, angiographic profile and percutaneous endovascular management of Takayasu's arteritis - A single centre experience.

International journal of cardiology

PubMedID: 27420344

Setty HS, Rao M, Srinivas KH, Srinivas BC, Usha MK, Jayaranganath M, Patil SS, Manjunath CN. Clinical, angiographic profile and percutaneous endovascular management of Takayasu's arteritis - A single centre experience. Int J Cardiol. 2016;220924-928.
OBJECTIVE
Aim of the study was to evaluate clinical, angiographic profile and percutaneous endovascular management of Takayasu's arteritis.

BACKGROUND
Takayasu's arteritis is a chronic inflammatory vasculitis affecting the aorta and its major branches. Although it is more prevalent in Asia, the distribution of the disease is worldwide with different vascular involvement patterns and clinical manifestations.

METHODS
In this prospective study a total of 50 consecutive patients who were reported as having Takayasu's arteritis between January 2010 and April 2016 were evaluated. Detailed clinical presentation and angiograms of all patients were analysed.

RESULTS
50 patients were analysed during study period. Among 50 patients, 43(86%) were female and 7 (14%) were male. Average age of presentation was 26.92years. Most common clinical presentation was claudication (74%) followed by, musculoskeletal symptoms (48%), fatigue (46%), weight loss (22%), headache (22%), visual disturbances (16%), syncope (10%), dyspnoea (20%). Most common features were absent/diminished pulses (80%), difference in blood pressure (80%), followed by bruit (70%)hypertension (64%), cerebrovascular accident (8%),heart failure (8%) and aortic regurgitation (4%). According to the new angiographic classification, angiographic type I (40%) was encountered most frequently, followed by type III (30%), type V (16%), type IIb (8%), type IIa (2%), and type IV is (4%). Angioplasty was the main stay of treatment in 66% of the patients, remaining 34% of them were treated medically either with corticosteroids or methotrexate.

CONCLUSION
Takayasu's arteritis is a rare disease, affects mainly women, manifestations range from asymptomatic disease, found as a result of impalpable pulses or bruits, to catastrophic neurological impairment. Takayasu's arteritis is the common cause of renovascular hypertension. Angiography remains the gold standard for diagnosis. Angiographic evaluation and percutaneous transluminal angioplasty with stenting is useful in selected cases.