The genetic cohorts: facing the new challenges in infectious diseases. The HIV model.

Enfermedades infecciosas y microbiologia clinica

PubMedID: 15228901

Telenti A. The genetic cohorts: facing the new challenges in infectious diseases. The HIV model. Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin. 2004;22(6):337-41.
All physicians are confronted with the diversity of susceptibility to infectious diseases or response to medication among patients. Much work has been done to characterize the virulence factors of pathogens, while less is known about the host (human) factor. Two unrelated people share about 99.9% of their DNA sequences, while the remaining 0.1% contains the genetic variants that influence how they differ in their risk of disease or response to drugs. The completion of the Human Genome Project gives a new start to developing the field of host genetic susceptibility. This review highlights ethical and practical issues on developing genetic cohorts by using the model of the Swiss HIV Cohort Study.